Document Actions

You are here: Home University Notifications about … Travel




Can I still travel?

On 3 June 2020, the German government extended the global travel warning on the corona pandemic, which has been in force since 17 March 2020. At present, the warning is issued against unnecessary, especially tourist, travel abroad, except to the Member States of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Republic of Cyprus), to Schengen associated states (Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland) and to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This applies for the time being up to and including 31 August 2020. Early lifting is possible in the event of a positive pandemic development, a stable health system, coherent security measures for tourism and reliable outward and return travel options and will be announced separately by the Federal Foreign Office in individual cases.

The lifting of the travel warning may be delayed by national entry bans that may remain in place beyond 15 June 2020 (currently Norway and Spain) or by failure to meet the pandemic criteria. If a country has a cumulative number of new cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the last seven days, the travel warning will remain in place or be reissued. This currently applies to Sweden.

The current regulations for authorising business trips abroad and within Germany can be found on the information sheet [de].

Which areas are currently considered particularly at risk for corona infections?

The Robert Koch Institute always provides up-to-date information on regions in which "ongoing community transmission" can be assumed to be particularly prevalent. Persons currently returning to the University from these regions are not allowed to enter University grounds until further notice.

Will be travel expenses for cancelled trips, conferences, etc. be refunded?

All business trips requested and approved (P80) which cannot be carried out must be submitted for reimbursement. Please attach all receipts to these statements as usual. All independent possibilities for cancellation and reimbursement must be used.

The universities in Baden-Württemberg are in discussion with the state government as to whether and to what extent these costs can be reimbursed. Further details will be communicated as soon as they become known.

What should I do if I am returning from a high-risk area?

All travelers coming directly from high risk areas or who have stayed there in the past 14 days are encouraged to stay at home for two weeks from the time of their return in order to prevent the spread of infection. This also applies to persons in transit, for example if a train or plane stops in one of these areas.

University employees are ordered to work from home for a period of two weeks in such cases. Please inform the responsible supervisor and the Personnel Department.